Tuesday, 22 March 2011

COOK ME: caramel popcorn

I love popcorn.

Why? It is super healthy - if you can resist adding toppings like caramel!

I can't. So here it is. The best caramel popcorn recipe. My best, that is.


 Popcorn:
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • 1/2 cup popping corns (more or less)

Caramel Topping
  • 100g of butter
  • 3/4 cup of brown sugar
  • 1/3 nuts (I used chopped peanuts but you can use whatever or nothing!)
  • 1/4 cup of golden syrup (optional)

Plus:
  • baking tray
  • baking paper

1. Heat oil in large pot on low-medium heat. Add popcorn and put lid on (important!)

2. While popcorn pops, melt butter and sugar (plus syrup and nuts) in pan on low heat. If you don't use syrup you might need a bit more butter.

3. Once popping starts slowing (or the pot fills up in my case), take off heat. Pour popcorn onto a baking tray lined with baking paper/grease-proof paper.

4. Once sauce is saucy and all melted together, such as...













5.  Pour caramel sauce over popcorn. Now you have an option: to toast or not to toast! It is like one of those storybooks I read as a kid, where you choose the ending. You can either wait for the sauce to harden, then skip to step 7, or you can continue to step 6...

6. Put tray in oven and either grill (very quickly) or cook at 140-160 degrees C until sauce hardens. Don't turn your back or you will be hoping the hubby or flatmate offers to do dishes!

7. Ummm...enjoy!! (Can be kept in airtight container if you are not as greedy as I am!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My words are no more important than yours.

So let me hear them!